Friday, 22 June 2012

Dragons




My late father absolutely despised dragons. He never explained why—he just did. Anything that had dragons on in would be banished to the Realm of Garbage, unless it was a book in which case he’d just scribble out the offending dragon’s head. I wish I had asked him about this freaky trait…I’m sure it would have been an interesting tale. But that’s life—we’re so busy with our own daily trials that we don’t stop to take an interest in those of others. Yet another thing that I’m working on.

Despite growing up in a house that was dragon unfriendly, I simply love them. The idea of these magical creatures soaring through the sky just gives me goose bumps. This is why dragons reside in my mythical Valley of the Hornbills where my protagonist Anjeli gets to have all the fun while I sit at my laptop half the night.

Kinds of Asian dragons:
-The Horned Dragon is considered to be the mightiest.
-The Celestial Dragon supports the heavens and protects the Gods. 
-The Earth Dragon rules all of the earth. 
-The Spiritual Dragon controls the wind and rain. 
-The Treasure Dragon is the keeper of precious metals and gems. 
-The Winged Dragon is the only dragon with wings. 
-The Coiling Dragon dwells in the ocean. 
-The Yellow Dragon is a hornless dragon known for its scholarly knowledge

The differences between European dragons and their Asian cousins are firstly their looks but also the fact that in Asia they are revered and loved while the poor European dragons were constantly being attacked by aspiring knights. Interestingly, for a mythical creature, the dragon has its roots in many different cultures across the world. How is it that almost every culture has its own version of dragons?

Dragon names throughout the planet:
Malaysian, Indonesian and Indian: naga
Chinese (Mandarin): lóng
Greek: drákōn
Slavic: zmaj
Persian: ezhdehā
Jewish (religious): Nachash Bare'ach
Vietnamese:  rồng
Japanese: tatsu
Read more about dragons on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

I’m seriously starting to think that myths and legends made their way across the globe hitched to the noodle industry.

1 comment:

  1. Great post - dragons rock.

    Many years ago, as an undergrad at Monash Uni, I made friends with a lady whose name sounded, (coincidentally, I'm sure), very similar to your protag's. And this same lady, who back then aspired to be a writer herself, happened to have a little sister back hme in Malaysia, whom she missed a great deal.

    And this same lady mentioned the other day, that this same not-so-little sister recently had a book published.

    Gosh, I wonder where I can find this little sister and say congrats on such a wonderful achievement?

    ReplyDelete